Groves confirms world title fight with Stieglitz following collapse of respective Anderson and Kessler bouts

14 Mar

Tommy Barber – London

Unbeaten Londoner George Groves has been thrust into a position that belies his relative inexperience as the super middleweight champion of Britain and the Commonwealth has, in the immediate aftermath of his withdrawal of a March 16 defence against Kenny Anderson on medical grounds, been aligned with WBO world titlist Robert Stieglitz in a contest tentatively scheduled for April 28.

Direct link to article.

Fans will have to wait to see the rematch of Groves and Anderson's hotly contested 2010 war

A back injury sustained during a routine sparring session with training partner Eamonn O’Kane prevented Groves (14-0-0, 11ko) from participating in combat this weekend and, of the collapse of the entire Wembley Arena card, promoter Frank Warren said: “In sport, injuries occur and there is very little anyone can do about it. We had already lost Matthew Hall and now with George withdrawing from the main event I have had no option but to postpone the whole card until a later date.”

It was not the only 168lb fight that had gone from booked to scrapped as, just weeks before, Mikkel Kessler had abandoned plans to challenge Stieglitz (41-2-0, 23ko) for the WBO championship… the third time a meeting between the two prominent Europeans had failed to materialise.

“As a boxer, my fists are my biggest weapon,” Kessler commented, citing hand complaints as the catalyst for his pulling out of the April 14 tussle. “To fight and to win at the highest level, I need my hand to be fully recovered.”

Where two fights have fallen apart, one very different match-up can – and has – been made as Groves, who is the WBO’s mandatory challenger, will now be the one to take Kessler’s place and box Stieglitz, albeit at the end of April.

Groves recently confirmed the fight and claimed that the rematch with Anderson could well be for a world title as he has no problem facing the big-hitting tough Scotsman once he has captured honours at world level: “Maybe after I challenge and win the WBO super-middleweight championship [I will fight Anderson],” Groves is quoted by the Daily Mail to have said.

“I’m bringing another world title to Britain.”

Stieglitz, too, has also spoken of the Groves fight, commenting that he is pleased the WBO ordered the contest.

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Advertisements

One Response to “Groves confirms world title fight with Stieglitz following collapse of respective Anderson and Kessler bouts”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. News: Jan – June « On The Beak - November 18, 2012

    […] Groves confirms world title fight with Stieglitz following collapse of respective Anderson and Kessl… […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: