Chisora’s license withdrawn immediately; Dereck deemed not ‘fit and proper’ to box

14 Mar

Alan Dawson – London

The British Boxing Board of Control have withdrawn former heavyweight challenger Dereck Chisora’s licence to box after convening with the 28-year-old and his promoter – Frank Warren – today, March 14, in Cardiff. The disciplinary measure follows the example set by the WBC who removed Chisora from their world rankings and suspended the north Londoner indefinitely because of his press conference brawl with David Haye last month.

Direct link to article.

The slap heard around the world. Chisora's palm strike on Vitali quickly went viral

What had been a determined, courageous and battling performance against Vitali Klitschko – a champion famed for his brutal dominance over a plethora of contenders – was marred by controversial behaviour before, during and after Chisora’s decision defeat to the Ukrainian at the Olympiahalle in Munich, Germany.

“I feel I must wholeheartedly apologise for my part in the regrettable scenes both before and after what was to be the biggest night of my career,” said Chisora in the aftermath of slapping Vitali, spitting water on Wladimir and the ruckus with Haye.

Robert Smith – the BBBoC secretary – commented today that Chisora is “not a fit and proper person to hold a licence. It has been withdrawn immediately.” He added: “The British Boxing Board of Control deplore what occurred at the weigh-in [the slap], in the ring before the contest commenced [spitting water] and at the post contest press conference [the fight with Haye]. Such behaviour brought the sport of boxing, the British Boxing Board and all licence holders into disrepute.”

Taking into account Chisora’s statement of regret in February, Smith continued: “Dereck Chisora, on his own admission, did not behave in a manner consistent with that of a professional boxer and let down, not only himself and his family, but, also, all those licence holders who behave in a professional manner.”

While his behaviour outside of the ring has been condemned, his performance inside it won worldwide plaudits and match-ups with Tomasz Adamek, an all-London tie with Haye and a shot at Wladimir had all been mooted, however, such fights will now be denied to Dereck. Chisora, though, does have 14 days to appeal the decision. Something Warren said he would “consider”.

While Haye is officially retired, he is outside the jurisdiction of the BBBoC: “He is not a licence holder of the British Boxing Board of Control,” said Smith, yet should Haye pursue a potential world title challenge against Vitali and reapplies for a licence then the Board will take into account “the part he played in the disgraceful scenes.”

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Advertisements

One Response to “Chisora’s license withdrawn immediately; Dereck deemed not ‘fit and proper’ to box”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. News: Jan – June « On The Beak - November 18, 2012

    […] Chisora’s license withdrawn immediately; Dereck deemed not ‘fit and proper’ to box […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: