Winner of Garcia v Concepcion could face winner of Salido v Lopez

10 Mar

Robert Delgado – Los Angeles

WBO featherweight world title challenger Juan Manuel Lopez may be gearing toward regaining his former championship belt when he clashes with current holder Orlando Salido later this evening, March 10, at the Coliseo Roberto Clemente in San Juan, but the Puerto Rican has praised the two main undercard fighters as the winners of the two co-headlining bouts could collide later this year.

Direct link to article.

Mikey Garcia, Lopez, Salido and Bernabe Concepcion in an unofficial 4-man tournie? Credit: Amanda Kwok/Showtime

“Saturday is a great card with a lot of good prospects,” said headline act Lopez, a former two-weight world champion having won full honours at super bantamweight and featherweight, commands a powerful punch but came unstuck for the first time as a professional prizefighter last year, when Salido scalped him in the eighth round.

Since suffering his sole defeat, Lopez bounced back at the expense of Mike Oliver, boosting his own knockout ratio by slaying the American boxer-mover inside two rounds. Salido, meanwhile, made two successful defences of the WBO strap that Lopez (31-1-0, 28ko) had previously adorned.

While Lopez and Salido (35-11-2, 23ko) represents a highly-anticipated rematch between two premier 126lbers, they both campaign in a division saturated with talent… one of those talents, an undefeated Oxnard pugilist who is a cerebral fighter, is Miguel ‘Mikey’ Garcia, who takes on Bernabe Concepcion with the winner expected to challenge the winner of Lopez versus Salido.

Lopez remarked: “Garcia and Concepcion is a really good fight and I’m glad that it will be on Showtime, along with mine. Mikey is one of the most intelligent fighters around. He has great ability. And Bernabe is a tough guy. He dropped me in our fight a couple of years ago so I know.”

On the task ahead Garcia (27-0-0, 23ko), who is on the cusp of becoming a challenger of a major championship himself, commented: “My fight with Concepcion is a tough fight, a dangerous fight and it means everything to me.

“If I want my title shot, I need to win. There has been talk about me fighting the winner of Lopez and Salido. I want my chance. I hope to fight the winner of Saturday night’s fight for the belt before the end of the year. I’ve put in a lot of hard work because the fight is so important to me.”

Standing in Mikey’s way, is Concepcion (29-5-1, 15ko), a Filipino 24-year-old who, as the fight’s underdog, will no doubt be buoyed by his compatriot Sonny Boy Jaro’s shock victory over long-reigning Thai fighter Pongsaklek Wonjongkam last week: “I’m excited for fight night on Saturday against Garcia,” he said.

“I came to Puerto Rico once before [in July 2010, to fight Lopez. He was teekayoed in two rounds, the only time he has been defeated by stoppage]. Thank you to the promoters and all the fans for having me back but I hope for a different result this time.”

Will Garcia's methodical approach and precise power oversee Bernabe's durability? Credit: Amanda Kwok/Showtime

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Winner of Garcia v Concepcion could face winner of Salido v Lopez”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. News: Jan – June « On The Beak - November 18, 2012

    […] Winner of Garcia v Concepcion could face winner of Salido v Lopez […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: