Mayweather Jr calls out Pacquiao: May 5 is open, I’ll sign today

29 Nov

Denzil Stone – Atlantic City

Undefeated American welterweight Floyd Mayweather Jr has officially called-out Filipino sensation Manny Pacquiao for the Cinco de Mayo (May 5) date he had reserved at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. Pacquiao is believed to be eager to rise to the challenge, so too are Manny’s head coach Freddie Roach and conditioner Alex Ariza, so this latest revelation adds further pressure on promoter Bob Arum to negotiation with Mayweather Promotions.

Direct link to article.

Credit: Stacey Verbeek - Maple Avenue Boxing Gym, Dallas

“I told him [Pacquiao], that May 5 is open,” said Mayweather to Fight Hype recently.

Following Floyd’s mini-break from boxing, the 34-year-old returned to the ring in September to take on Victor Ortiz in what the press speculated to be a fistic rehearsal for the Grand Rapids-born Las Vegas-resident to ‘tune-up’ for Pacman. The cause for the theorised reports was that, like Pacquiao, Ortiz was a volume-punching southpaw.

Floyd bagged a fourth round knockout victory and, two months later, Pacquiao defeated long-time rival Juan Manuel Marquez on points but it has been a source for debate ever since. Now that both prizefighters are out of training camp and have no opponent lined up, they are free to negotiate their next fight and Mayweather is eager to push for the pound-for-pound showdown that the wider sporting world are ready to see.

Mayweather (42-0-0, 26ko) believes he already has a clear advantage over his welter rival as he has a zero, something Pacquiao (54-3-2, 38ko) lost when he dropped a third round kayo to Rustico Torrecampo in 1996, a fighter whom Mayweather tagged a “C-level fighter”. Furthermore, Floyd regards all of Pacquiao’s fights with Marquez to have resulted in a loss for the former, trebling the amount of defeats on his record.

He said: “He lost before, he can lose and go home [to the Philippines] and still be loved. Losing is in the back of Pacquiao’s mind because he’s lost before. He just lost last week [Against Marquez, on November 12 (official result was a majority decision win)]! He’s got six losses as he lost to Marquez three times.”

Mayweather then provided a clear call-out to the 32-year-old Congressman: “May 5 is the date. Sign the contract. I’m waiting. I can’t be sitting, waiting, all day. May 5 – let’s make the fight! You said you were a clean athlete, you’d take the [random blood] test… let’s do it!

“If we’re talking pound for pound, after [Pacquiao struggled to beat] Marquez, they [boxing media] all thought we was stupid, let’s put that man [Floyd] where he really belong. May 5, I’m ready, I could sign today, you better sign tomorrow!”

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Advertisements

3 Responses to “Mayweather Jr calls out Pacquiao: May 5 is open, I’ll sign today”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Amir Khan clarifies Manny Pacquiao retirement talk: He’s got lots of great fights left « On The Beak - November 30, 2011

    […] Mayweather Jr calls out Pacquiao: May 5 is open, I’ll sign today […]

  2. Pacquiao on Mayweather fight: Once Floyd signs [the contract] I’ll sign « On The Beak - December 1, 2011

    […] Mayweather Jr calls out Pacquiao: May 5 is open, I’ll sign today […]

  3. Roger Mayweather met Michael Koncz: Floyd and Manny match-up needs to happen « On The Beak - December 6, 2011

    […] Related article: Mayweather Jr calls out Pacquiao: May 5 is open, I’ll sign today […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: