The show must go on: Cotto v Margarito II latest, Arum not confident about NY approval

17 Nov

Robert Delgado – Los Angeles

Top Rank Boxing president Bob Arum has quelled reports that the fiery encounter anticipated between Miguel Cotto and Antonio Margarito‘s rematch, tentatively scheduled to take place on Saturday, December 3 at Madison Square Garden is in jeopardy by publicising his plan b – he has “five venues as backup” should a three-person commission who are due to vote tomorrow elect to deny Margarito license to box in New York State.

Direct link to article.

Margarito (38-7-0, 27ko) has not fought since November, 2010, when he was brutally out-pointed by a savagely impressive Manny Pacquiao. Due to injuries sustained in the ring – a severely fractured orbital bone together with serious retinal damage – the Mexican’s return to the ring has been delayed because of surgical procedures and medical clearance.

It is the medical green-light that is still pending in the mindset of the New York State Athletic Commission who yesterday, Wednesday, convened in private in order to discuss Antonio’s eye/vision. A three-person committee, consisting of chairwoman Melvina Lathan, Edwin Torres and Thomas Santino will vote at a public hearing on Friday, November 18. Doctors who have knowledge of Margarito’s situation provided evidence at the closed meeting on Wednesday and this testimony will be taken into consideration tomorrow.

According to ESPN, Arum said: “[The] worst-case scenario is that they deny the license and if they do, we have five other venues as backups.”

Those venues were not disclosed, however, since serving his suspension following the 2009 hand-wrap scandal, he was permitted to box in Texas, and duly took on Pacquiao at the awe-inspiring Cowboys Stadium in Arlington. The Lone Star State could be one of the back-up plans Arum has in mind. Whatever the result, it is clear the main event will continue as planned, the only change will be the host venue.

“We are still going December 3. We’re doing the fight,” he confirmed, ruling out speculation that Polish battler Pawel Wolak will be promoted from the undercard to the main event, or that one of Top Rank’s other 154lb campaigners – Vanes Martirosyan – will be drafted in as a last resort in order to provide Cotto (36-2-0, 29ko) with a dance partner.

“We have a license [for Margarito] from a few states,” said Arum.

That license may well be required, as the promotional behemoth recently stated to Sports Illustrated that he did not have a “very good feeling”. He said: “It’s outrageous. We brought in two specialists who told them he could fight and they brought in a couple of hacks,” indicating a negative result will be given.

Related article: Cotto v Margarito II is rumoured to be cancelled but Arum attempts to correct speculation

Related article: Garcia: Margarito will wear Cotto down and stop him

Related article: Video: HBO release promo trailer for Cotto v Margarito II

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Advertisements

One Response to “The show must go on: Cotto v Margarito II latest, Arum not confident about NY approval”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Cotto v Margarito rematch finally given green-light for New York « On The Beak - November 23, 2011

    […] The show must go on: Cotto v Margarito II latest, Arum not confident about NY approval […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: