Arum iterates Pacquiao’s 2013 retirement plans, quashes rumours Manny is broke

10 Nov

Robert Delgado – Los Angeles

Because of multi-talented Manny Pacquiao‘s political ambitions in his native Philippines, the eight-weight world champion may not box past 2013 as he intends on running for the role of Governor of Sarangani Province, according to Bob Arum, who implied that, should he succeed, then such a task would occupy his full attentions and he would call the curtain down on his illustrious fighting career.

Direct link to article.

Pacquiao may not glove up past 2013. Credit: Stacey Verbeek - Maple Avenue Boxing Gym, Dallas

“Back a year or so ago I signed a two-year extension with Manny which runs out on December 2012, and I paid him money for the extension,” Arum is quoted to have said in The Telegraph. “He then came to me a few months later and said what are your plans about retiring? I said ‘Manny, if I retire it’ll be way after you’re finished. He said ‘Okay, I want to fight for another year and I want to give you an extra year extension’. So we have two more years left.”

Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38ko) is the reigning champion of the WBO welterweight title, an honour he defends on Saturday, November 12 as he takes on long-time rival Juan Manuel Marquez (53-5-1, 39ko) at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It will be the third defence of the world title he won in 2009 due to a late stoppage victory over Miguel Cotto.

His recent defences, though, have occurred during his time as a politician. In May 2010, Pacquiao was officially proclaimed congressman of the province of Sarangani by way of landslide decision.

Since that date, he has boxed Antonio Margarito and Shane Mosley, however, should he succeed in his promotion to his intended position of Governor then juggling political responsibilities with a high-profile boxing career will be that much more arduous – impossible even – as Arum explained: “I believe that his intention is to fight until the end of 2013 and that coincides with him running for being the Governor of Sarangani Province that year. He’s not going to be able to devote that much time to fighting once he’s Governor of that province.”

Earlier this year there were increasing reports that Pacquiao, despite super stardom, is ‘broke‘. Arum rubbished these rumours by revealing his multi-million dollar sponsorship agreements: “[Lucia McKelvey] has gotten him some major endorsements.

“Some of which are going to pay off for years, which these people in the Philippines were incapable of doing. I think the vegetable produce deal is going to be a big one, he has other significant deals in the pipeline, so they could be bringing him in an average of around 10 million dollars a year. And it could be more.”

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Advertisements

One Response to “Arum iterates Pacquiao’s 2013 retirement plans, quashes rumours Manny is broke”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Schaefer wants to arrange biggest fight for Mayweather, but Arum not ready to negotiate for Pacquiao « On The Beak - November 16, 2011

    […] Arum iterates Pacquiao’s 2013 retirement plans, quashes rumours Manny is broke […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: