Shumenov: No contact from neither Cleverly nor Warren regarding unification

2 Nov

Ibrahim Harb – Birmingham

Following WBO light heavyweight world title holder Nathan Cleverly‘s hard fought victory over British rival Tony Bellew in October, the Cefn Fforest fighter declared his interest in pursuing a unification contest with WBA championship incumbent Beibut Shumenov, however, the 28-year-old Kazakh – who also holds the lightly-regarded IBA belt – has stated that he has had no contact from Cleverly, nor the Welshman’s promoter Frank Warren.

Direct link to article.

Shumenov wants to be undisputed 175lb champ

Shumenov’s experience mixing it with the elite belies his 13-fight resume. In just his fourth fight he was knocking out pugilists with winning records and, in the same year, won every round against veteran fighter Montell Griffin, a two-time former world title challenger. This, before trouncing Byron Mitchell, Gambriel Campillo in a rematch, previously undefeated Viacheslav Uzelkov, high-profile American William Joppy and, most recently, Danny Santiago.

Not shy of ambition, Shumenov is eager to add names synonymous with the light heavyweight elite to his list of those he’s beaten, starting with two world champions who have expressed interest in annexing his WBA belt – IBF champion Tavoris Cloud, and Cleverly.

“I want to fight the best to be considered the best 175 pounder in the world. I’ve heard that Cleverly and Cloud have mentioned my name but, truth be told, we have never been contacted by either one of their promoters to unify,” said Shumenov (12-1-0, 8ko).

“All of these guys talking about unifying, well… if they really want to make it happen, all they have to do is contact us. I told [Jean] Pascal that I’m from Kazakhstan, he lives in Canada; so, we should fight in the capital of boxing, Las Vegas. Same goes for Cleverly, who is from the United Kingdom.

“I’m getting ready and looking forward to a fresh New Year. Hopefully, one of the other light heavyweight world champions will put his title belt on the line against mine in a unification fight in 2012.”

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Shumenov: No contact from neither Cleverly nor Warren regarding unification”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. WBA Titlist Shumenov, Goossen-Tutor End Promotional Ties – SaddoBoxing.com | Sports News Hound - November 3, 2011

    […] lawsuit and the disputes between them. They have agreed that their Promotional Contract is …Shumenov: No contact from neither Cleverly nor Warren regarding unificationOn The Beakall 4 news […]

  2. Fonfara is speculated opponent for Cleverly’s Cardiff homecoming on Feb 25 « On The Beak - December 13, 2011

    […] Related article: Shumenov: No contact from neither Cleverly nor Warren regarding unification […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: