Ambiguity over Haye’s retirement helps spark speculation of Vitali Klitschko fight in March

2 Nov

Petra Kirsch – Gelsenkirchen

Former two-weight world champion David Haye, who finished his career on a sour note having performed sub-par in a high-profile heavyweight unification with Wladimir Klitschko, confirmed his retirement in October, however, there is growing speculation that he is courting advances from WBC champion Vitali Klitschko regarding a showdown in March, 2012. Speaking at a recent book launch, Haye himself did little to quell the rumours…

Direct link to article.

Vitali to follow up Adamek win with Haye fight? Credit: KMG/Dmitriy Abramov

“The book leaves it open a little. You never know, there’s always another chapter,” said Haye (25-2-0, 23ko) in appropriate parlance at a launch for his biography Making Haye, according to The Ring.

“It’s the end of one chapter but there are plenty of chapters to come in the rest of my life. Only time will tell whether the Klitschkos need me more than I need them. They won’t believe that but it depends what they want out of boxing. If they want guaranteed easy victories, then they can do what they’ve always done. But if they want a tough challenge, you’d think they would want to beat down my door.”

Vitali Klitschko (43-2-0, 40ko), meanwhile, who is riding high after one of his most impressive and dominant displays – a tenth round stoppage of Tomasz Adamek in September – has made no secret of his intention to follow that up by inflicting a similar fate onto Haye, surpassing what his younger brother Wladimir achieved in July – a decision. Vitali also stated that he would be willing to take the Haye fight in the Londoner’s home town, at Wembley Stadium, the 90,000 capacity home of the English national football team.

Klitschko’s manager, Bernd Boente, had even released comments to Sky Sports that he had been in contact with Haye’s manager and trainer Adam Booth regarding a February or March match: “Adam and myself just spoke with each other and we are in constant contact,” said Boente in early October. “We are still waiting for some numbers from British TV and then we’ll see if the business case is realistic and then we will do the fight or Vitali will fight another opponent in February or March next year.”

Back in The Ring, Haye said this in September whilst attending the WBC welterweight world championship fight between Floyd Mayweather Jr and Victor Ortiz: “Yes, I did talk to Shelly Finkel [the Klitschkos US representative]. I feel like my body has at least one more fight left in it. If the numbers are right, I’ll fight again, probably in February or March.”

Of course, this was all before Haye’s retirement on October 13, however, the speculation of behind-the-scenes negotiations between the two camps remains strong.

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Advertisements

One Response to “Ambiguity over Haye’s retirement helps spark speculation of Vitali Klitschko fight in March”

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

  1. Haye’s 2012 ring return against Vitali Klitschko downplayed by Booth « On The Beak - November 21, 2011

    […] Related article: Ambiguity over Haye’s retirement helps spark speculation of Vitali Klitschko fight in March […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: