WBC issue statement on Donaire v Montiel II: ‘Fernando accepts’

21 Oct

Robert Delgado – Los Angeles

Former champion of three weight divisions; Fernando Montiel, and rising pound-for-pound superstar prizefighter Nonito Donaire, may share a ring for a second time, according to a WBC statement. This, after the Filipino Flash scored the front-running candidate for knockout of the year when he stopped the traditionally durable Mexican in just two rounds in Las Vegas, earlier this year. Montiel has accepted the rematch, the Council said.

Direct link to article.

Former champ Montiel with new titlist Donaire. Credit: Chris Farina/Top Rank

Montiel (46-3-2, 36ko) had registered just two defeats in his 48 professional bouts prior to meeting Donaire, both of which were tight distance fights. The manner in which Nonito deconstructed a highly-decorated and reputable champion earned him the WBC/WBO unified bantamweight world championship, P4P acclaim and no end of lucrative potential contests in a plethora of divisions including: Toshiaki Nishioka at super bantamweight; Jorge Arce at super bantamweight and Yuriorkis Gamboa at featherweight.

Donaire (26-1-0, 18ko) is currently aligned to box Omar Narvaez, an undefeated Argentine celebrated in his homeland, on Saturday, October 22. The fight will be his first defence of the 118lb belts he currently has in his position before he moves into the confines of the 122lb weight limit.

According to a statement released by the WBC, one of Donaire’s super bantamweight fights could be a rematch with Montiel who has remained keen to attempt to avenge his sole knockout loss: “Fernando Montiel said yes to the rematch with Nonito Donaire for next year but this time the bout is going to be at super bantamweight,” read the statement.

For the do-over to occur, Donaire will need to be triumphant at the expense of Narvaez whilst Montiel, too, will have to emerge unscathed from any future bout: “[Montiel is] confident that both of them have to win their next bouts before they start to negotiate the rematch.”

Montiel is currently unbeaten as a super bantamweight having recorded a third round retirement and three round knockout over Nehomar Cermeno and Alvaro Perez, respectively. The 32-year-old, dubbed Cochulito, is aiming to fight one more time in 2011 and is eager to win as convincingly as he did in his previous two contests so he can “negotiate like a champion,” if the time comes to enter talks over rematching Donaire.

The winner of a prospective fight between the pair would be in a commanding position to challenge the current incumbent of the WBC championship at 122lbs; Nishioka.

For all of boxing’s biggest stories click here

onthebeak@gmail.com

Follow us on TWITTER

Follow us on FACEBOOK

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: